Fynbos Forum 2012
Cape St Francis Resort 17th to 19th July 2012
THEME: East meets West: Transcending political, ecological and social boundaries (in the fynbos)
Who should attend?
- All researchers working in Fynbos
- Scientists, students, engineers, planners, and educators working in fynbos
- Working for Water staff
- Working for Wetlands staff
- Working on Fire staff
- Managers, particularly those in conservation, forestry, and agriculture
- Policy makers from government
- NGOs and the private sector
- EIA consultants
Venue and Date:
The conference will be held at the Cape St Francis Resort, Cape St Francis from the 17th to the 19th July 2012. Arrival on the 16th July 2012 for dinner.
Format of Forum:
Monday: 16th July:
- Delegates arrive and register from 16h00.
Tuesday: 17th July:
- Late registration
- Paper and posters presentations all day
Wednesday: 18th July:
- Late registration.
- Field trips after lunch
- Formal dinner & Disco
Thursday: 19th July:
- Late registration
- Papers and posters
- Prize presentation
Call for Papers and Posters: (please note options)
- Contributions in the form of platform papers of 15 minutes (12 minutes for presentation and three (3) minutes discussion),
- OR short papers (Five (5) minutes for presentation and one (1) minute for discussion),
- OR posters, on the session themes would be most welcome.
- Abstracts for all above options are required and should be a maximum 300 words.
- Abstracts need to clearly explain what the paper/poster is about.
- No references, no tables, no end notes, and no logos should be included in the abstract.
- Specific guidelines will be sent out shortly.
- Paper and poster titles and abstractsmust reach Sandy Dowlingvia email not later than 26th April 2012
- Posters should have a jpeg or pdf version submitted by the 3rd May 2012 so that they can be included in the hard copy of the programme. Instructions to follow.
Papers and posters are invited under these broad themes and are expected to include contributions on:
- Biodiversity-based business
- Job and skills development in biodiversity
- Trends in protected area management
- Youth programmes
- Alternative energy and biodiversity
- Ecosystems services
- Sustainable utilisation of fynbos products
- Climate change and biodiversity
- Invasive species
- Restoration ecology
- Systematics and biogeography
A provisional programme will be sent out during May 2012
Field trips will be held on the 18th July 2012 and will be concentrated in the St Francis area. These will cover a range of features including local fauna and flora, archaeology, nature education and conservation and development issues. Most field trips will be located within 10 km of the venue and will be led by local experts.
Delegates will be able to choose which field trip they want to participate in at the forum. Please remember to wear suitable clothing for field trips. Bring water bottles.
The Registration fees include administrative costs, accommodation, teas, lunches and dinners as from evening on 16th July and for the duration of the Forum only. Any other meals are for your own cost. Breakfasts ARE NOT INCLUDED.
A Cash Bar will be available at dinners at night, and the cost is to you.
Accommodation for four nights is included in the Fee. Contact Danni Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org or
tel. 042 298 0054 to make your own arrangements if you have preferences regarding with whom you want to share your room.
Visit www.capestfrancis.co.za to view the venue.
Wireless internet connectivity is available in the Conference Room and bar area.
Early Bird registration forms and fees should reach Sandy Dowling before 1st June 2012 to avoid paying the Late Registration fee.
Thereafter the Late Registration Fee will be applicable. The cut-off date for Late Registration is before 29th June 2012.
Student registration fees:
Please note that only undergraduate and post graduate students in full time registration at a tertiary institution will be considered for student rates. Persons who are registered as post doctoral students or working and registered as part-time student will not receive student rates.
Daily Full Registration
Student Full Registration
|Early Bird (before 1st June 2012)||
R1000 (Students R700)
|Late Registration (before 29th June 2012)||
R1200 (Students R900)
- Registration fees include administrative costs, accommodation, morning teas, lunches, afternoon teas, and dinners only, for the duration of the Forum.
- Breakfasts ARE NOT included in the fees.
- Registration fees are transferable provided a new registration form is completed and reaches the secretariat before 29th June 2012.
Completed registration forms and payment for Registration should be submitted as soon as possible, and before 1st June 2012 for the Early Bird rates. Completed registration forms and payment for Late Registration should be submitted before 29h June 2012.
Please return to:
Sandy Dowling, Fynbos Forum P O Box 48395 Kommetjie 7976
Tel: 021 783 2509, Cell: 084 896 7182, Fax 086 570 9602, Email: email@example.com
Cancellations made after 2nd June 2012 and before 29th June 2012 will only be refunded 75% of the fee.
- Please note that no refunds will be made if there is cancellation or change of dates after the 29th June 2012.
- Please Note: A person shall only be considered as registered on receipt of both registration form and payment.
- Please advise Sandy Dowling immediately you decide to cancel your registration and attendance, otherwise you will be liable for your costs.
Payments: WE HAVE NEW BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS – do not pay your registration fee until you have received our invoice.
- PLEASE NOTE: All Registration payments must be made before 29th June 2012.
- An invoice will be sent to you on receipt of your Registration Forms, unless you request a Quote first.
- Kindly advise if you need a quote before the formal invoice.
- Kindly submit an Order Number with your registration form if this is a requirement from your organization.
- Please ensure that payment is made promptly on receipt of the invoice.
- Cheques, cash, and electronic payment are accepted.
- No Credit Card facilities.
Please contact Sandy Dowling with strong motivation, and a motivation letter from your supervisor if a student, if you need sponsorship.
CUT OFF DATES:
|Papers & Posters||Titles & abstracts||26th April 2012|
|Posters pdf||Posters pdf version||3rd May 2012|
|Early Bird Registration||Registration & Payment||1st June 2012|
|Late Registration||Registration & Payment||29th June 2012|
|Cancellation||75% reimbursement||If made btwn 2nd June & 29th June 2012|
|Cancellation||Nil reimbursement||After 29th June 2012|